Did you know there are both male and female medicinal plants? Yes, medicinal plants show gender, and the sex matters a lot to the grower.
That’s because only female plants produce buds. How do you grow female plants?
Regular medicinal plants seeds will be 50% male, and 50% female. That means half of the seeds will be unusable as far as growing buds.
One way around this is to purchased feminized seeds online. These seeds are available from all reputable online seedbanks, and the plants produced by these seeds are always female.
When do medicinal plants reveal their gender?
Medicinal plants go through two stages of life, the “vegetative” stage and the “flowering stage.”
They first go through the vegetative life stage, which you can sort of consider its “childhood” since the plant is only focusing on growing bigger and taller, and gender doesn’t matter. At the beginning of this stage you usually can’t tell what the plant’s gender is.
However, once the plant is about 6 weeks old, it will usually show signs of “pre-flowers” which will alert you to the gender before the beginning of the flowering stage.
Next, medicinal plants switch to the flowering stage which means they stop growing bigger and taller, and instead spend all their effort growing flowers (the buds we want are flowers!). The flowering stage is like the “adult” stage of a medicinal plant since at this point it’s only interested in adult stuff like growing their male and female parts, then pollinating 🙂 In the flowering stage, plants start growing buds or pollen sacs in earnest. The buds we want are female flowers, so growers generally only want to grow female plants.
Growers Want Female Medicinal plants – These Produce Bud
Regular Medicinal plants reveal their gender in two situations:
1. After spending a long time in the vegetative stage – some strains/plants will show preflowers (pistils for girls and “balls” for boys) during the vegetative stage if they grow old enough, even when they are constantly kept under a vegetative light schedule. For example, clones can come from plants that are several years old, so you’ll see a lot of clones have female pistils showing, yet will not continue to flower any more than that until after they’ve been switched to a Flowering (12-12) light schedule
2. Otherwise, all remaining plants will reveal their gender in the first 1-3 weeks after lights are switched to 12-12, and plants enter the flowering stage of life.
When your medicinal plant is about to reveal it’s gender, what you’re looking for is medicinal plants “pre-flowers.” These usually show up when the plant is around 6 weeks old from seed, but they always appear once the plant is changed over to the flowering stage.
Male and female pre-flowers look different from each other (though it can be easy to confuse them at first). Sometimes it’s hard to tell which is which at first, and in that case you’ll just have to wait until they develop a few more flowers and it becomes more obvious.
You may need LED grow lights if you grow medicinal plants.
ECO Farm 480W LED Light Strips Samsung 301B Chips +UV IR High Efficiency Light With Inventronics Driver
- ECO Farm 480W LED Light Strips with Samsung 301B Chips +UV IR high efficiency light with inventronics driver can better heat disappear and stay cool while enabling even light spread. Save you a lot at ventilation and exhaust.
- Simple structure, no fan, no noise.
- ECO Farm 480W lights with dimming knob allows to control the light intensity or height and provide the right amount of light in every stage of plant growth, which can reduce energy loss.
- UV IR high efficiency light with inventronics driver. Born for big buds, rapid plant response from seed to flower,speeds up flowering time and boost yields. Easy dimming design meets needs of indoor plants at different stage of growth.
- ECO Farm 240W grow light strips has a slim design made to fit right under a support beam in order to add light without creating an additional shadow in your greenhouse.
- High-efficiency full spectrum LED grow light: Samsung 301H+660nm+730nm.
- UL certificated driver is built for reliability while staying cool, safe, and quiet.
- All aluminum body(6063) with great heat dissipation + IP65 grade waterproof
- Suitable all grow stages + easy maintenance + easy transportation
ECO Farm ECOG 100W/200W/300W/400W/500W/600W Quantum Board With Samsung 281B Chips Waterproof LED Grow Light
- High Efficiency & Cost Saving: ECO Farm ECOG quantum board adopts the latest high-quality LEDs technology-Samsung LM281B diodes, high energy efficiency with 2.5 umol/J, delivers powerful light output and uniform canopy penetration to resulting maximum higher yields.
- Customized Dimming Design: An added dimmer knob is featured to manipulate the light intensity at liberty, reducing light lost to aisles and walls, provides desired needs for plants in all stages from seeding to bloom.
- Excellent full spectrum led grow light: white, blue, red, IR and UV (3000K, 5000K, 660NM, 730NM, 380NM), provides desired need for plant growth in all stages from seeds to harvest.
- No Noise & Less heat-output: 4.0MM thick aluminum plate radiator, fast heat conduction, low temperature. Select a high-quality UL-certified power supply allows you to use the full spectrum plant lights in a moist grow tent/greenhouse, longer lifespan to speed up plant's grow processes and boost yields.
- Splicable, small size, high power, support for input series connection
- Certification: CE RoHS FCC
- Warranty: 3 years
Well, that's all of our topic today. If you have any questions, please contact us and we will respond to you as soon as possible.
Our emails address is: firstname.lastname@example.org