Indoor growers enjoy an endless growing season, complete control over growing conditions, and the convenience of growing inside. This all sounds great, but too often we forget about grow room ventilation.
Why Do You Need to Ventilate Your Grow Room?
So why do grow rooms and grow tents need to be ventilated? As it turns out, there are quite a few reasons.
Plants grown outdoors enjoy the mitigating effects of light breezes, sunshine, evaporation, and precipitation. Indoors, we substitute fans for breezes and evaporation, grow lights for sunshine, and watering systems for precipitation. What we often forget about is that outdoors, air circulates more naturally than in your grow room. You need both a fan and an air extraction system to keep the air in your grow room fresh. Here’s why.
Remove Excess Heat
Grow lights emit heat. It might not seem like much to you, but a few degrees in temperature can mean the difference between a successful crop and a less successful one. Certain grow lights emit more heat than others, but all produce enough heat to merit ventilation.
Humidity is another factor that can contribute to problems with indoor growing systems. Plants emit water vapor throughout the day which increases the humidity of your grow room. Uncontrolled humidity leads to poor growing conditions and can result in the development of pests and diseases.
A good ventilation system also wicks away some of the water released during transpiration, allowing your plants to absorb more water and pull up nutrients through their root systems, boosting growth.
Prevent Pests and Diseases
Air circulation helps prevents pests and diseases. Mold, powdery mildew, spider mites and fungus gnats prefer stagnant, humid conditions. Pests lay their eggs in damp topsoil, so having a fan to keep the surface layer of soil dry can slow their reproductive cycle, and a steady breeze makes it harder for them to establish themselves on your plants in the first place.
How to Ventilate Your Grow Room
Place Oscillating Fans in the Grow Room
As you learn how to vent a grow room, keep in mind that your grow room ventilation set up needs two types of fans.
- Air extractor fan system
- Oscillating fans
We will get to the air extractor fan system later, so for now let’s focus on oscillating fans. These fans are both cheap and effective, which are two of my favorite qualities in any system. They blow air constantly above, under, and around your plants, helping to keep the grow room cool and improve air circulation.
Oscillating fans are also easy to set up and move around, which means you can easily experiment with placement to make sure you find the optimum location for your fans. You want your oscillating fans to reach all areas of the growing room, which might mean investing in a few fans, but you also want to prevent your fans from pointing directly at your plants. This can result in ‘wind burn’ and can damage your plants (think gentle breeze vs tropical storm).
Setting up oscillating fans will help moderate the temperature and humidity in your grow room, but fans alone are not enough. You need an air extractor fan system to keep the air in your grow room or grow tent fresh.
Here are three best Oscillating fans recommended for you:
- Pole mount design for grow tent: This fan is specifically made to be easily connected to 15-26mm (.59in to 1in) poles in a grow tent. The clip features rubber inside to ensure the fan does not move while it oscillates.
- Air circulation: higher yields: benefits to having a fan like this in your grow tent include, reduction in mold, keeps temperatures constant, improved ventilation and promote root growth which means bigger plants and higher yields.
- 120 Degree oscillating: fan can oscillate 120 degrees or be stationary. 6” Triple spiral fan blades are angled to deliver efficient airflow with high and low settings to keep you and your plants cool and comfortable.
- 2 Speed + fully adjustable: fan has high and low speeds. Fan can be adjusted to direct air flow exactly where you need it.
- ECO Farm 16/18-inch wall mount fan with oscillation function, which makes it possible to easily change the fan’s direction, allowing you to customize the airflow area and reach.
- 3 speed and oscillating function.
- Wall fan made of a metal fan grill and strong steel neck support.
- ECO Farm wall fan is moderate in size, silent, powerful, small in userspace, and can provide you with a comfortable space and easy to clean.
- The quiet yet powerful motor will create a cooling breeze, perfect for your grow room, greenhouse, or other small or larger areas.
- The fan is easy to use being operated with pull chords at the base of the main body.
- 3 speed control, adjustable airflow: The 3-speed seeting fan rotates 180 degrees allow your plants to get airflow from different directions, keeping them cool in every angle
- Energy-saving & whisper-quiet motor
- ECO Farm 6 Inch Clip Fan could mount wherever needed.
- Convenient clip-on design: This oscillating fan is equipped with a strong clamp that firmly grips onto a tent pole, shelf or other surface for convenient cooling power where you need it.
- Safe construction: ECO Farm clip fan features a coated safety grill that keeps fingers and other items at a safe distance from moving blades while it is in use.
If you have any questions, please contact us and we will respond to you as soon as possible.
Our emails address is: firstname.lastname@example.org